Wednesday 17 August 2011

Reduced Nintendo 3DS price: Y U so tempting?

I’ve been looking at the Nintendo 3DS since it first came out. It might be that my original DS is on its last legs, the launch titles being particularly appealing, or the fact that one of the standard colours is an amazing aqua blue; but I’ve been longing for one since it was released (and that has very little to do with its part in the 3D fad that seems to be going around.)

At first, despite longing for the new Nintendogs game (dogs and cats? How could I resist?) I couldn’t justify over £200 on a hand held console that has, at its worst, 3 hours battery life. I mocked it a little in front of my other gaming friends; pretended that it was a ridiculous purchase, whilst in the back of my mind I yearned to hold the bright blue plastic in my hands, see the excited eyes of little virtual puppies and kittens staring up at me expectantly like I were 9 again and all the games I wanted to play were pink and fluffy and with absolutely zero violence.

Now my predicament comes with Nintendo lowering the console’s price by such a huge amount.

I was almost happy not buying a 3DS. Or I tricked myself into thinking that I was. Who needs a new, shiny handheld when my old, original DS is just about hanging on (albeit on one hinge..)? I’d told everyone that it was simply useless thanks to its short battery life, that the 3D screen must give people headaches anyway.. But now, at the new price of £115 from some retailers, I am sincerely considering putting some of my well-earned (ahah..) student loan towards acquiring one of these beauties.

My first games will be Nintendogs + cats and of course Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D. Along with a powerpack from Nyko which should double battery life (rendering my previous point for not buying… completely moot). I could see myself sinking a lot of hours into this console, especially with a new Paper Mario coming out and a Shin Megami Tensei game (although I’m not altogether sure that’s being released in the UK at this moment in time).

So student loan, I know where you’re going!
Unless of course I end up spending you on the upcoming The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Diablo III, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Torchlight II, Dead Island or Saints Row: The Third…



No comments:

Post a Comment